The market town of Madikeri is the capital of the Kodagu (Coorg) region, a cool green mountainous area in the southwest of Karnataka.
Madikeri is famed for its temples and 19th century fort which houses a museum and a chapel.
The beauty of Coorg though is in the surrounding picturesque countryside where the roads are lined with hedgerows, flowering trees, spice plantations and coffee estates. It is a perfect area for walks ranging from simple strolls through the coffee plantations on the outskirts of the town, to longer treks in the surrounding mountains.
What to see
- Abbi Falls: Formally called the Jessey Falls.
- The Fort: Situated on an elevated ground, it has a palace inside.
- Sri Omkeshwara Temple: Towards the end of November a colourful temple festival is held here. Raja’s Seat; It commands a beautiful view of the Coorg valley studded with paddy fields and forests, with the blue mountain ranges of the Western Ghats.
- Raja’s Tombs: The last two Rajas of Coorg are buried here.
- Stuart’s Hill: One can have a magnificent view of the surrounding valley from this place .
Air: The nearest airport Mangalore 135 Km, is connected by Indian airlines and Private airlines with major cities in India.
Rail: The nearest railhead is Mysore 120 Km and mangalore 135 Km which are connected by rail with major cities and towns in India.
Road: Madikeri is connected by road with Bangalore 264 Km, Dharmasthala 180 Km, Hassan 146 Km, Mangalore 135 Km, Mysore 120 Km, Nagarhole 93 Km, Subramanya 90 Km, talachery 120 Km, Talakaveri 47 km and Virajpet 32 Km.
Area: 6.5 Sq.Km Temperature: Summer - Max: 33.0 Deg.C Mini: 27.0 Deg.C Winter - Max: 24.0 Deg.C Mini: 19.1 Deg.C Rainfall: 279.4 cm (June to October) Altitude: 1170 meters Season: October to June STD Code: 08272
- Chettali Orange & Coffee Research Station (24 Km): Run by the government many experiments and research on production of Coffe are conducted here.
- Bhagamandala (35 km): An important place of pilgrimage.
- Harangi (38 km): Has aresevoire and Dam making it an interesting picnic spot.
- Talakaveri (44 Km): Situated on the slops of the Brahmagiri Hills it is the source of the River Cavery.
- Nagarhole (80 Km): This is a Wildlife Sanctuary covering an area of 284 Sq.km with tropical and deciduous forests.
- Irupu (91 Km): A well known pilgrim centre associated with lord Rama.