Mysore is a friendly and easy-going city with pleasant climate all year through. With a number of beautiful palaces and pre-Independence architecture, Mysore has a faded grandeur and small-town charm that attract travelers from all over the world.
The city is a crafts centre, and has numerous shops selling a wide range of sandalwood, rosewood and teak carvings, furniture, traditional Mysore silk, puppets and laquer-ware and other handicrafts.
What to see
Central Food and Technological Research Institute; Chamarajendra zoological Gardens ( Timings: 0830 hrs to 1730 hrs); Govt. Silk Factory (Timings: 0800 hrs to 1200 hrs & 1500 hrs to 1700 hrs); Govt. Sandalwood oil Factory (Timings: 09000 hrs to 1100 hrs & 1400 hrs to 1600 hrs); Lalitha Mahal Palace; Saint Philomena’ s Church; Jayachamrajendra Art Gallery (Timings: 0800 hrs to 1700 hrs); Rail Museum (Timimgs: 1000 hrs to 1300 hrs & 1500 hrs to 1700 hrs. Mondays closed).
Air: The nearest airport Bangalore (140 Km) is connected with major cities.
Rail: Mysore is connected by rail with major cities and towns in South India.
Road: Mysore is connected by motorable roads with Bandipur 80 Km, Bangalore 140 Km, Belur 155 Km, Halibed 149 Km, Hassan 118 Km, Jog Falls 348 Km, Madikere 124 Km, Mangalore 259 Km, Mudumalai 99 Km, Ootacamund 159 Km.
Area: 37.4 Sq. Km Temperature: Summer - Max: 35 Deg.C Min: 20 Deg. C Winter - Max: 28 Deg.C Min: 14 Deg.C Rainfall: 86 cm (June to November) Altitude: 770 Meters STD Code; 08236
- Chamundi Hills (13 Km): Famous for the Chamundeshwari Temple (Timings: 0800 hrs to 1200 hrs & 1700 hrs to 2000 hrs)
- Ranganathitoo Bird Sanctuary (16 Km): Covering an area of 675 hecters, it is a heaven for migrant birds.
- Srirangapatna (16 Km): Has the Ranganatha Temple, Fort Dariya Daulat- Tipu Sultan’s Summer Palace & the mausoleum of Tipu Sultan and Haider Ali.
- Brindavan Gardens & Krishnarajsagar Dam (19 Km): A beautiful terraced garden laid out on the side of the dam. The illuminated gardens and musical fountains are special features.
- Somnathpur (45 Km): famous for the Keshava Temple, a perfect example of te Hoysala architecture.
- Talakad (45 Km); Melkote(48 Km); Bandipur National Park (80 Km); Shivasamudram Falls (80 Km); Bylakuppe (83 Km); Nagarhole National Park ( 96 Km); Mahadeshwara Hills (144 Km).