In ancient times Patna, then known as Paliputra, was renowned as one of the great cities of Asia, but today it is a congested urban sprawl, stretching along the banks of the Ganges for many kilometers.
Divided in two by the large open Maidan, the area to the west, which was laid out by the British, still boasts gracious mansions and administrative buildings, while the area to the east includes the crowded, dusty old city with its bazaars and old mosques.
What to see
- Bihar Institute of Handicraft & Design;
- Harmandirji (Timing: 0700 hrs-1200 hrs & 1500 hrs-2000 hrs office and 4. library closed on Thursday;
- Khuda Baksh Oriental Library: has a wide collection of rare manuscripts, particularly Arabic and Persian, illuminated manuscripts of the Mughal period and paintings of Rajput and Mughal schools;
- Kumrahar: Excavations at the site have revealed the remains of a part of the ancient city of Pataliputra;
- Lakshmi Narayan Temple;
- Martyrs Memorial;
- Nawab Sahib Ka Maqbara;
- Pathar Ki Masjid or Sangi Masjid; 11.Patna Museum: Open every day except Monday (Timing: 1030 hrs-1630 hrs;
- Rajendra Museum;
- Quila House (Jalan Musuem): It houses a rich private collection of jade, Chinese porcelien, paintings and silver filigree work of the Mughal period. Prior permission necessary.
- Sadaquat Ashram and
- Sher Shah Suri Masjid.
Air: Indian Airlines connects Patna with Calcutta, Ranchi, Delhi and Lucknow.
Rail; Patna is connected by rail with Mumbai, Calcutta, Guwahati, Ranchi and Varanasi.
Road: Patna is well connected by road with Bodhgaya 179 Km, Calcutta 653 Km, Delhi 997 Km, Gaya 172 Km, Muzzafarpur 72 Km, Nalanda 90 Km, Pawapuri 90 Km, Rajgir 102 Km, Ranchi 335 Km, Raxaul 21 0 Km, Sasaram 152 Km, Vaishali 56 Km.
Area: 80 Sq.Km.
Altitude: 53 Metres Temperature: Summer - Max: 43 Deg.C Min: 21 Deg.C Winter - Max: 20 Deg.C Min: 6 Deg.C Rainfall: 120 Cm Season: October to March STD Code: 0612
Sonepur (25 Km);
Maner (29 Km);
Vaishali: (56 Km);
Muzaffarpur (57 Km);
Pawapuri (87 Km);
Nalanda (89 Km);
Gaya (97 Km via Jahanabad);
Rajgir (102 Km);
Bodhgaya (109 Km).